A beautiful smile is often the key to making a good impression on others. That said, there are many things that can affect the appearance of your smile, including genetics, dental trauma, and tooth decay.
Fortunately, cosmetic dentistry can provide a number of solutions to help you feel more confident in your appearance. By undergoing one or more simple cosmetic procedures, you can transform your smile from ordinary to extraordinary!
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
The most common aesthetic dental procedures include the following:
- Composite Fillings: These fillings can restore the teeth’s natural appearance and function after they have been damaged by decay. The color of the compositefillings can match the shade of natural teeth and create a seamless look.
- Dental Veneers: Dental veneers are thin, custom-made shells that are bonded to the front of your teeth to improve their appearance and function. Your dentist may recommend teeth veneers if you have gaps between your teeth or if they are stained. They can also fix the appearance of crooked teeth, worn-down teeth, or teeth that appear too large for your mouth. Porcelain veneers are a popular option for those seeking to cover up discolored or misshapen teeth. These thin shells are custom-made and bonded to the front of your existing teeth, giving you a natural-looking and long-lasting solution.
- Dental Implants: For those dealing with missing teeth, dental implants offer a permanent replacement option that looks and feels like real teeth. The implant is placed directly into the jawbone, creating an anchor for a prosthetic tooth that's attached on top. Dental implants are an increasingly popular cosmetic dentistry procedure that can restore the appearance and function of missing teeth. Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants are surgically implanted into the jawbone and become a permanent part of your mouth. They look and feel like natural teeth, allowing you to eat, talk and smile with confidence.
- Invisalign® Clear Braces: This innovative orthodontic treatment can help you straighten your smile without the need for metal braces. Many patients prefer this more discreet treatment as a way to achieve a straighter smile. One of the main advantages of Invisalign® is its nearly invisible appearance. This makes it an ideal option for adults and teenagers who may feel self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces. Additionally, because the aligners can be removed when eating or brushing, there are no restrictions on what foods can be eaten during treatment.
- Teeth Whitening (Bleaching): Teeth whitening is a popular option for individuals who want to brighten their teeth by several shades at a time. However, it is primarily intended to improve the appearance of a smile rather than treat existing oral health concerns. Those with serious stains or discoloration may want to consider other cosmetic dentistry procedures, such as porcelain veneers.
- Gum Contouring: Gum contouring, also known as gum reshaping or gingivectomy, is a cosmetic dental procedure that involves removing excess gum tissue to reveal more of the teeth and create a more balanced smile. This can be done with traditional surgery using a scalpel or laser technology for a less invasive option. Patients may choose to undergo gum contouring for various reasons, such as having an uneven gum line, excessive gums covering their teeth, or simply wanting to improve the appearance of their smile. The procedure is typically painless and requires only local anesthesia.
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns are fixed prosthetics that are cemented onto an existing tooth or dental implant using a dental adhesive bonding material known as dental cement. Dental crowns are custom-made for each patient in a dental laboratory based on an impression of the prepared tooth. Once complete, the patient returns to the dental office to have the dental crown placed and secured over the tooth’s remaining surface. A dental crown is used to restore a broken or severely decayed tooth that can no longer be treated by a regular filling alone. There are several types of crowns, including porcelain and ceramic crowns. Porcelain crowns are the most commonly used type of cosmetic restoration because the material is strong and can be matched to the color of the patient’s teeth for a natural look. Ceramic crowns are also a great choice because they are also very durable and strong as well.
To learn more about these or other dentistry options, schedule a consultation with one of our dentists at Fort Union Family Dental located at 8915 S 700 E Ste 103, Sandy, Utah 84070, or call (801) 562-2147 today! We would be happy to answer any questions you may have!