A cosmetic filling is used to fill a cavity caused by decay. At Fort Union Family Dental, we use fillings made of composite resin that look natural and match the color of your tooth. They are also durable, so you will not have to worry about them wearing down over the years.
If your tooth is cracked or chipped but has no cavities, we can help by bonding the crown material to your original tooth to add strength and stability. Our crowns are strong, durable, look natural, and blend in perfectly with the rest of your teeth.
The Advantages of Cosmetic Fillings
- One of the primary advantages of cosmetic fillings is that they are unnoticeable. Cosmetic fillings mimic natural teeth because they are made of composite resin, giving them a natural appearance. In social situations, you can laugh as much as you want without fearing that someone would notice you once had a cavity.
- Because amalgam fillings must fit into cavities precisely, your dentist may need to drill a healthy tooth to make room for the amalgam filling. Cosmetic fillings do not need the removal of any healthy teeth structures. As a result, attractive fillings are an excellent alternative for even the smallest cavities that require minimal drilling.
- Cosmetic fillings are "painted" into the cavity in layers. They are made of a resin that firmly attaches to the teeth, allowing them to match and practically merge with the color of your tooth.
The Cosmetic Fillings Procedure
Our dentist will first use a local anesthetic to numb your mouth before removing decayed or damaged tooth enamel. Once the area is prepared, the dentist will clean it and carefully place the filling to ensure it is adequately sealed against the bacteria that can cause further tooth decay.
Most dentists use composite resin as their white filling material because it is durable, safe, and matches your natural smile. Some patients opt to replace their old metal fillings with composites because they look more natural. After all, metal fillings can be of a different color than that of the surrounding teeth, which some patients can find unattractive. The silver-mercury amalgam used in some older fillings can also be unsafe for your body.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures At Fort Union Family Dental
Cosmetic dentistry procedures have become increasingly popular over the years as people are looking for ways to enhance their smiles and boost their self-confidence. Here are a few common cosmetic dentistry procedures that we offer at our dental office in addition to cosmetic fillings:
- Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are a popular option for those wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth. These thin shells are custom-made to fit over your existing teeth and can help cover up imperfections such as stains, chips, or gaps.
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns are often used when a tooth is too damaged or decayed to be repaired with just a filling. A crown covers the entire tooth and provides extra support, helping to restore both function and aesthetics.
- Dental Implants: For those missing one or more teeth, dental implants offer a permanent solution that looks and feels just like natural teeth. Implants involve surgically placing an artificial tooth root into the jawbone, which then holds a replacement tooth in place.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is another popular cosmetic dentistry procedure that can quickly brighten up your smile. Whether done in-office or with take-home trays, professional whitening treatments provide much better results than over-the-counter products.
- Gum Contouring: Gum contouring can help reshape uneven gums for a more symmetrical look. This involves removing the excess tissue from areas where it's covering too much of the tooth surface while grafting new tissue onto areas where there isn't enough coverage.
Today’s modern dentistry offers cosmetic fillings to restore your damaged teeth while masking the appearance of any imperfections on the tooth surface. Visit Fort Union Family Dental located at 8915 S 700 E Ste 103, Sandy, Utah 84070, or call (801) 562-2147 for the best dental care.